Pages

Ads 468x60px

Friday 7 September 2012

Clearing the Windows Vista Thumbnails Cache

A very simple tip this one, but I have to admit I was not aware of it myself until today. I found I needed to clear all of the thumbnail images that are shown in the folder views within vista windows. I had installed a new codec pack, and wanted all of the thumbnails in my video library to be consistent in size and quality, so I needed to get rid of the old thumbnails.
Before those of you who already know how to do this start shouting at me saying it’s easy, I would like to defend myself by saying I have never had a need to reset my thumbnails before, and was expecting a much more complicated procedure. Actually, the reason I am posting such a simple tip, is that I am sure there are other folks out there like me, who had no idea where this particular feature of Windows Vista is tucked away hiding.
I scratched my head for a while, I could not remember seeing any system tools to rebuild icons or anything similar in control panel. I absolutely refused to Google up an answer, as I figured I should be able to work this out for myself. I am sorry to say it took me far too long to realise how to do this. In the end it was very simple.
thumbnails
Yes, as you can see, I finally found the option I was looking for when I fired up the disc cleanup utility. Ok, in my defense I would like to point out that both Windows XP and Windows 98 had a separate tool for rebuilding icons, so I was not expecting to just delete the thumbnails, I thought I would have to force some kind of system wide reset.
But there we have it, a very simple way to refresh your thumbnail images, for all types of files and folders, sitting right under your nose! Actually, I had no idea that the disc cleanup utility that is provided as part of the operating system was so well featured, as well as allowing the remove of restore points, usually I used TuneUp Utilities for this little function, now I now how to do it with a native Vista feature.
I think I am going to spend some time exploring every system utility that comes as part of a standard Windows Vista install, and see what other gems I am missing, if I find many interesting things, I will combine them into a post for this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
trickstipsall4u.blogspot.com Webutation
MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

M

ad

Contact Me

flagcounter

free counters